Ms. Bushra has completed her graduation of M.Sc. in Water Resources Engineering from University of Leuven in Belgium (KU Leuven, World University ranking in top 50) in 2016 with a distinction (Honors, 70% marks). She also has a post graduate degree from Ghent University of Belgium in Weather and Climate Modelling. She has completed her B.Sc. in Civil Engineering from MIST (Military Institute of Science and Technology), Bangladesh University of Professionals.
Professional Track Record
Ms. Bushra has a professional experience of about 9 years in the field of computational hydraulics and hydrology, climate change modelling and environmental impact assessment in different scenarios. Ms. Bushra started her career as Professional in Climate Change Study Division of CEGIS in year 2011, January after her graduation (B.Sc.) in December, 2010. She worked there till September, 2013 in various projects of climate and environment, and after that she left for Belgium for her Masters. After her Masters graduation (2 years masters) and postgraduate degree (1 year), she joined IWM as Junior Specialist in Coast, port and estuary division (CPE) in 2016, October. She has worked in various dredging projects in this division as well as coastal projects. She has joined from March 2019 in Climate Change Cell (CCC) of IWM and have further worked on proposal development and business development with new clients for the newly developed cell. She is also actively developing the database of climate model downscaled data as an R&D project of the climate cell, as well as working on a Joint Cooperation Program with Netherlands as a continuity of her work from CPE.
Ms. Bushra has been extensively trained in mathematical modelling on drainage modelling with MIKE 11, Hydrological model with SWAT, MIKE NAM, HEC HMS, Noise Modelling (Soundplan), Air pollution Modelling, storm surge modelling with MIKE 21 FM, Coastal modelling with Delft3D and satellite image analysis . She has training as well in crop modelling like DSSAT, AQUACROP and CROPWAT. She has training as well as in programming languages such as FORTRAN, PYTHON, Climate downscaling with SDSM and GCM (Global Climate Model) bias correction techniques.
She has done training and TOT as well for adaptive delta management, Environmental impact assessment and GIS. Ms. Bushra is a member of Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh (M-39831). She has participated in lot of trainings both as resource person as well as trainee in country and outside of Bangladesh. In addition to his fluency in Bengali and English, she is good in Dutch and Hindi, with small fluency in French. Publication in Journal:
Publication in Conference:
- Duti B.M., Hossain M.M., Khadim F.K., Rahman A.Z., Quadir D.A. (2017). "Mapping floods in Bangladesh using satellite data: an overview", The Journal of NOAMI, 34(1): 57-68.
- Duti B. M., Alam, R.Q., Hossain M. M. (2012) "Changing Climate and Surface & Ground Water Related Issues in Dhaka", Journal of Engineering Science (JES) [ISSN: 2075-4914], Published by the Faculty of Civil Engineering, Khulna University of Engineering and Technology (KUET), Bangladesh.
- Alam, R.Q., Duti B.M., Monowar, M.M. (2011) "Potential of Water Footprint Assessment as a Decision Support Tool for Sustainable Water Allocation Option in Dhaka City", Proceedings of the 4th Annual paper meet (4APM) and Civil Engineering Congress , Institution of Engineers, Bangladesh (IEB), ISBN: 978-984-33-4363-5, Noor, Amin, Bhuiyan, Chowdhury and Kakoli (eds) , Link: http://iebconferences.info/alapwf.pdf
- Duti B.M., Khan M.F.A., Tamanna T., Mukherjee N. and Rashid M.A. (2015). "Vulnerability Assessment and Adaptation Technique for Climate Change Induced Drought in Bangladesh." 5th International Conference on Water & Flood Management (ICWFM- 2015), Organized by Institute of Water and Flood Management (IWFM), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh.
- Duti B. M., Aurin F.H., Rahman, M. M. (2011) "Changes Observed in the Historical Trend of Local Rainfall as a Climatic Factor and its Effect on the Streamflow of the Turag and Buriganga River System" Proceedings of the International Conference on Environmental Technology & Construction Engineering for Sustainable Development ICETCESD-2011, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet, Bangladesh, pp 533-540, ISBN: 978-984-33-3054-3 (Proceedings).
- Belayneh A., Duti B.M., Mekuanent F.M. , Biniyam S., Gebrehiwot T., Buruk W., Griensven A. V. (2015). "Effect of Different HRU Definition on Catchment Runoff Prediction and Climate Change Impact Investigation Using the SWAT Model in the Kleine Nete Basin, Belgium". 3rd OpenWater2015 symposium, organized by Addis Ababa University, International Water Management Institute (IWMI), CGIAR , Vrije Universiteit Brussels (Free University of Brussels or VUB) and UNESCO-IHE, organized on September 2015, at International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI), Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
- Saniruzzaman, Duti B.M., Khan M.F.K., Hazra S., Bhadra T. (2015). "Development of Environmental Flow Assessment Methodology for the Sundarbans Ecosystem". 5th International Conference on Water & Flood Management (ICWFM- 2015), Organized by Institute of Water and Flood Management (IWFM), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh
- Yazdan M.M.S., Duti B.M., Rahaman A.Z., Noor F. (2014). "Establishment of Co-Relation between Remote Sensing based TRMM Data and Ground based Precipitation Data in North-East Region of Bangladesh". 4th International Conference on Water & Flood Management (ICWFM- 2014). Organized by Institute of Water and Flood Management (IWFM), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh.
- Hossain M.M. and Duti B.M. (2013) "Flood and Erosion Management in Bangladesh" Proceedings of 2013 IAHR Congress, 2013 Tsinghua University Press, Beijing, China.
- Alam, R.Q., Duti B.M., Monowar, M.M. (2012) "Climate Change Impacts on Water Related Sectors of Dhaka City and Assessing The Plausible Adaptation Options" Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Environmental Technology & Construction Engineering for Sustainable Development ICETCESD?2012, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet, Bangladesh
- Aktar M.N., Ahmed F., Duti B.M., Khan M.F.A., Saniruzzaman, Akand M.K. (2015). "Assessing WATSAN Vulnerability due to Climate Change in Bangladesh and Formulating Adaptation Strategies". 5th International Conference on Water & Flood Management (ICWFM- 2015), Organized by Institute of Water and Flood Management (IWFM), Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology, Dhaka-1000, Bangladesh
- Saniruzzaman, Basak S. R., Duti B. M., Alam J. B., Khan M.F.A. (2012). "Observation of Climate Change Through Historical Trend Analysis and Future Projection of Temperature and Rainfall in Sylhet Region", Divisional Conference on Community Based Adaptation to Climate Change, organized by CARE Bangladesh, ARCAB and Department of Forest and Environmental Science, Shahjalal University of Science and Technology, Sylhet, Bangladesh
Major Project Assignment
- Joint Cooperation Program- Bangladesh Netherlands, Client:Deltares, Employer: IWM
- Planning of Eco-park and eco-tourism at Sonadia Ghotivanga island, Moheshkhali, Cox Bazar, Client:Ministry of Water Resources, Bangladesh Water Development Board (BWDB), Employer:IWM
- Environmental and Social Impact Assessment for Cox Bazaar airport runway extension project, Client:Civil Aviation Authority, (CAAB), Ministry of Defence, Bangladesh, Employer:IWM
- Feasibility study for drainage improvement in Vabodah area, Client:Bangladesh Water Development Board (BWDB), Ministry of Water Resources (MOWR), Employer:IWM
- Feasibility Study for Restoration of Dry Season Flow through Dredging in the Sangu, Matamuhuri and Karnaphuli River for Improvement of Navigability, Domestic Water Use and Irrigation, Client:Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA), Employer:IWM
- Feasibility Study for Improvement and Restoration of Navigability for Buriswar-Payra, Old Brahmaputra, Dharala, Dudhkumar, Punarbhaba, Tulai and Showa River, Client: Bangladesh Inland Water Transport Authority (BIWTA), Employer:IWM
- Developing a Methodology to determine Environmental flow assessment of the Sundarbans, Client:IUCN, Employer:CEGIS
- Drought risk assessment for Bangladesh in changing climate, Client:CDMP-II, Department of Disaster Management, Ministry of Disaster and Relief, Employer:CEGIS
- Development of Second National Communication Report for UNFCCC (for Bangladesh), Client:DOE (Department of Environment), Ministry of Environment and Forest, Employer:CEGIS
Furhter she has worked in different projects academically as well during her higher studies:
- Use of SWAT in the Belgian catchment Kleine-Nete for discharge simulation in different climate scenarios
- SWMM urban drainage modelling in Brussels, Belgium
- System approach method application in conceptual model building for water budgeting and rainfall-runoff simulation
- Integrated Water Resources Management (IWRM) application in surface water-ground water interaction, flood simulation, agricultural water use, urban drainage assessment and including climate change scenarios by using SWAT, MIKE-11, SWMM, Aquacrop (Agricultural model) and ModFlow (groundwater model)
- Verification analysis of ensemble model forecasts (weather model)
- Application of objective analysis and optimal interpolation in data assimilation process of temperature and sea level pressure data (using ANALAB: Fortran based scheme)
- Non-linear and linear shallow water equation solving using Fortran schemes with underlying assumptions
- Argument and counter-argument with ocean surface temperature observation analysis and its relation with climate change (case study)