Ms. Rumman Mowla Chowdhury has completed her graduation of M.Sc. in Water Resources Engineering and Management from University of Stuttgart in Germany in 2014 with a distinction (Honors, 70% marks) along with IPSWAT German Government Scholarship. She has completed her B.Sc. in Civil Engineering from Bangladesh University of Engineering and Technology.
She is currently working as a Climate change specialist in Climate change cell of IWM from September, 2021. Ms. Rumman has a professional experience of about 10 years in the field of water resource engineering. Mostly her career is being focused along with water quality index assessment, waste management, electrochemistry for heavy metal removal, water treatment, socio economic impact assessment, 1-D hydrological modeling like HEC-RAS, SWAT modelling, basics of fluid mechanics, GIS and Remote Sensing, land surface temperature, environmental impact assessment and climate change in different scenarios.
After completion her B.Sc in civil engineering from BUET ( 2011) she worked at IWM for 14 months (July 2011 August 2012). Over there her major responsibilities were related to research on Hydro-Morphological Characteristics of Mora Modhumoti river, Hydro-Morphological characteristics of Surma river near Sylhet town. Both works related to river morphology were published in reputed journals. Updating of the geomorphologic characteristics of the river Ganges Up to River Brahmaputra, result extraction and post-processing from two-dimensional model simulation.
After completing her master's, she joined as a lecturer at the University of Asia Pacific in 2015. She was mostly responsible for conducting Waste water and Sanitary Engineering, Air and water Pollution, Numerical analysis, GIS, Computer Programming C++, Fluid Mechanics, Statistical method in Hydrology (Towards MSc students), undergraduate thesis.
After getting promoted to Assistant professor (May, 2016-September, 2021) exploring the research field was even higher. Researches in new dimensions of water resource fields were being supervised by her towards the undergraduate students. She has used the HEC-RAS tool for flood Hydrograph modeling. She was involved with a survey related to examine the existing water quality of Mirpur water supply and distribution network, North Dhaka City Corporation. Besides, she has verified different technologies for removing heavy metals from industrial wastewater. One of the methods was the application of powdered activated carbon removing heavy metal. Another approached she applied to treat effluent containing heavy metal concentration was the Electrocoagulation method. Besides, one of her undergraduate thesis works related to the Impact of spatiotemporal patterns of land use land cover and the land surface temperature. Few other works were related to capacity assessment of Hatrijheel lake (of Dhaka city) and doing the watershed delineation of the Hatirjheel Catchment area, socio-economic impact analysis of riverbank erosion of Chaudhari Upazil, finding out the land used pattern changes due to urbanization and its impact on water quality of proximate surface water bodies, land use pattern changes considering the climatic change, Farmer's perception of climate change.
Professional Track Record
- Training on Faecal Sludge and Septage Management (FSSM), Date: November 06-09, 2017 Venue: Chuti resort, Joydebpur, Bangladesh,Organized by Center for Science and Environment (CSE) and Water Aid Bangladesh (WAB)
- Training on Urban Rainwater Harvesting System’ ,16-19 July 2018 at Chuti Resort, Joydebpur, Gazipur; jointly facilitated by the Rain Forum and WaterAid Bangladesh.
- Training Programs on SPSS, Dhaka University, October 14, 2017 to November 14, 2017
- Training Programs on R programming, Dhaka University, 2019
- SAARC Training Program on River Erosion & EmbankmentSafety Management in South Asia Region. July 12-18, 2012.DhakaUniversityBangladesh.
- GIS winter school. Köln, Germany,November 2013Young Water Professionals’ Program on April 22 – 27, 2013. Berlin.
- Basic training course on open channel hydraulics.Hydrology and Mathematical modeling Department of water resource engineering, BUET.
- Trainer of “Basic Training on Microsoft Excel” on 30th June & 7th July, 2018 Civil Engineering final year students, University of Asia Pacific.
- 6 months short course on Renewable Energy conducted by BUP,2019
- Tailor-Made Training (TMT) on Engineering and Flood Risk Through a Gender Lens, a TRAINING JOINTLY ORGANIZED BY HKV ,IWFM,NUFFIC, 2021
- Training Workshops on "Gender Responsive Adaptation on Climate Change and Resilience for Government Officials and Climate Change Professionals" organized by BCAS and BCCT.(October, 2021)
Publication in Journal:
- Chowdhury, R. M., Hossain, M. M. (2012). Water quality index of water bodies along Faridpur-Barisal Road in Bangladesh, Journal of Global Engineers and Technologists Review, GETview, Vol. 2 No. 3 March 2012, ISSN : 2231-9700
- Chowdhury, R. M., Hossain, M. M. (2012) Restoration of Old-Madhumati River by the Hydro-Morphological studies using Mathematical modeling as a tool. International Journal on Civil Engineering for Sustainable Development, KUET, Khulna, Bangladesh.
- Groundwater Resource Assessment: in the Context of Bhawaniganj Pourashava, A. B M.I. Hossain 1 , R. M. Chowdhury 1 and F. Afifah2, IOSR Journal of Agriculture and Veterinary Science (IOSR-JAVS) e-ISSN: 2319-2380, p-ISSN: 2319-2372. Volume 9, Issue 9 Ver. II (Sep - Oct. 2016), PP 62-75
- Evaluation of the Nature of Groundwater Depletion: In the Context of Mohadebpur Upazila, R. M. Chowdhury1, A. B. M. I. Hossain1, M. S. Kabir2 and F. Afifah2.Journal of Water Resources and Pollution Studies (e-ISSN: 2581-5326), Vol 1, No 1,2,3 (2016)
- Evaluation of the River Padma morphological transition in the central Bangladesh using GIS and remote sensing techniques. The International Journal of River Basin Management. (2020)
Publication in Conference:
- Chowdhury R.M,Naser, M. N. (2012) Water Quality Index of the surface water bodies along the Joydevpur-Chandra-Tangail-Hatikamrul road sides in Bangladesh, International Conference on Civil Engineering for Sustainable Development (ICCESD-2012), KUET, Khulna, Bangladesh, March22-25, 2012.
- Chowdhury, R. M. et al. (2012) Assessment of water quality index of water bodies alongDhaka-Mawa-Bhanga road. (Accepted at 3rd International Conference on Environmental Aspects of Bangladesh (ICEAB))
- Chowdhury, R. M. et al. (2012) Aquaculture feasibility of water bodies along the Barishal-Faridpur road based on pregnancy water quality. (Accepted in the 5th Fisheries Conference and Research fair, 2012, Bangladesh Fisheries Research Forum.)
- Chowdhury, R. M. et al. (2012) Impact assessment of Bridge on Surma River in Bangladesh. (Accepted International conference on water Resources, Malaysia,2012)
- Chowdhury, R.M. et al. (2016) Assessment of Groundwater Depletion by Lithological Study and Mapping with GIS: In the Context of MahadevpurUpazila .(ICCESD 2016)
- Chowdhury, R.M. et al. (2019) Restaurant food waste management (A case study of Dhanmondi Area). (Accepted and presented in Waste safe,2019, KUET,Khulna)
- Chowdhury, R.M. et al. (2019) DRASTIC Based Vulnerability Assessment in Northwestern Part of Bangladesh. (Accepted and presented in ICERIE, SUST,Sylhet)
- Chowdhury, R.M. et al. (2019) Evaluation of flood inundation – a case study of Kushiara Floodplain (Accepted and presented in 7th ICWFM, IWFM,BUET,Dhaka)
- Chowdhury, R.M.et al.(2019) Removal of Heavy Metals (Cr, Cu, Pb) by Electrocoagulation. (AWWTR2019, Singapore)
- Removal of heavy metal from water by using Powder Activated Carbon. (JWET,Osaka University,Japan,2019,July 13-14)
- Water Quality Index of Shitalakhya River near Haripur Power Station, ICCESDS, 2020
- Effect of the changes in land use land cover patterns on the water quality of Shitalkhya river near Haripur power station. ICACE-2020. (Under review)
- Impact of spatiotemporal land-use and land-cover changes on land surface temperature, A CASE STUDY OF DHAKA CITY, ICWFM 2021 accepted for oral presentation.